A couple of weeks ago in Paralyzed by Choice – Too Many Tech Options I explained that with so many choices – mobile phones and carrier plans in particular – decisions are hard. Well, sometimes circumstances simplify the choice.
On Saturday, my BlackBerry died, which forced a decision. When I downloaded an updated Google app and did the necessary re-start, I encountered a JVM (Java Virtual Machine) Error. In my second call to Sprint advanced tech support, I was told I would have to go to a Sprint repair center and allow 2 hours.
Well, I dread the prospect of going to any wireless carrier store. But I did not want to be without a mobile phone. So I hopped in my car and drove to the Apple store 10 minutes away and bought an iPhone. Elapsed time – even with provisioning and help setting up MobileMe – was under 2 hours.
In the end, with all my angst about iPhone versus Droid and different data plans and the mobile hot spots versus tethering mobiles for broadband, convenience and certainty won the day. I had been leaning toward a Droid phone. But then I would have had to (1) figure out which one and (2) go to the store of a wireless carrier.
I realized that going with Apple meant a simple decision… the iPhone 4. From a decision-making process, going down a branch with just one choice had a lot of appeal. The Droid branch would have meant lots more decision-making. Perhaps there is a more generalizable lesson here: that limiting the number of choices is a good thing.
- Alternative Legal Provider (32)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) (38)
- Bar Regulation (13)
- Best Practices (39)
- Big Data and Data Science (7)
- Blockchain (7)
- Bloomberg Biz of Law Summit – Live (6)
- Business Intelligence (19)
- Contract Management (19)
- Do Less Law (36)
- eDiscovery and Litigation Support (165)
- Extranets (11)
- General (187)
- Innovation and Change Management (144)
- Interesting Technology (93)
- Knowledge Management (214)
- Law Department Management (12)
- Law Departments / Client Service (109)
- Law Factory v. Bet the Farm (26)
- Law Firm Service Delivery (99)
- Law Firm Staffing (24)
- Legal market survey featured (4)
- Legal Process Improvement (21)
- Legal Project Management (25)
- Legal Secretaries – Their Future (17)
- Litigation Finance (5)
- Low Cost Law Firm Centers (18)
- Management and Technology (177)
- Notices re this Blog (10)
- Online Legal Services (62)
- Outsourcing (132)
- Personal Productivity (37)
- ReInvent Law (10)
- Roundup (58)
- Structure of Legal Business (1)
- Supplier News (13)