KM Morphing into Practice Support Consulting?
I recently reported that only 49% of large law firms have someone in charge of KM (knowledge management). What’s the deal? I’ll ask a panel that question at an upcoming KM conference.
The Ark Group’s “Knowledge Management for the Modern Law Firm” conference is on February 22-23 in NYC (details at excited utterances). Joshua Fireman of ii3 and I co-chair it.
I moderate a session called Is KM Morphing into Practice Support Consulting? with Dave Hambourger (Technology Partner, Winston & Strawn), Jim Lantonio (Executive Director, Milbank Tweed), and Eugene Stein (Chief Knowledge and Technology Officer, White & Case).
We’ll explore whether KM is/should remain a separate domain or if large law firms should focus more on practice support, which can include KM. I planned this session before ILTA released its ILTA staffing survey. It reports that 250+ lawyer-firms have about 3% of IT staff focused on KM. In contrast, they have 12% on practice support and almost 20% on application development and administration. That means almost 1/3 of IT staff that could focus on anything from lit supp and basic apps to pretty interesting and advanced practice support consulting.
Given the percent split between KM and practice support + apps, we’re not just talking semantics. KM v. a broader vision is key to what staff deliver to lawyers, appropriate skills and experience, and reporting structures.
The Ark conference will be small and I expect a good dialog not only with panelists, but also participants. I hope to answer some of these questions here after the session.
- Alternative Legal Provider (44)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) (57)
- Bar Regulation (13)
- Best Practices (39)
- Big Data and Data Science (14)
- Blockchain (10)
- Bloomberg Biz of Law Summit – Live (6)
- Business Intelligence (21)
- Contract Management (21)
- Cool Legal Conferences (13)
- COVID-19 (11)
- Design (5)
- Do Less Law (40)
- eDiscovery and Litigation Support (165)
- Experience Management (12)
- Extranets (11)
- General (194)
- Innovation and Change Management (188)
- Interesting Technology (105)
- Knowledge Management (229)
- Law Department Management (20)
- Law Departments / Client Service (120)
- Law Factory v. Bet the Farm (30)
- Law Firm Service Delivery (128)
- Law Firm Staffing (27)
- Law Libraries (6)
- Legal market survey featured (6)
- Legal Process Improvement (27)
- Legal Project Management (26)
- Legal Secretaries – Their Future (17)
- Legal Tech Start-Ups (18)
- Litigation Finance (5)
- Low Cost Law Firm Centers (22)
- Management and Technology (179)
- Notices re this Blog (10)
- Online Legal Services (64)
- Outsourcing (141)
- Personal Productivity (40)
- Roundup (58)
- Structure of Legal Business (2)
- Supplier News (13)
- Visual Intelligence (14)