Social Networks, Cultural Change, and KM
Just finished a session on cultural change and social networks at the Ark Knowledge Management conference in Chicago.
A few interesting points:
– Technology has caused the collapse of more traditional in-person social connections and mentoring.
– KM has emerged as a substitute for the sharing that used to happen naturally.
– A few firms are trying to design physical spaces (e.g., library – cafe combos) that encourage old-fashioned in-person interaction.
– Sharing may occur as readily across firms as within firms at the associate level. (Many raised eyebrows at this; one participant countered “how much original work is really done anyway?”)
– Examples of Linkedin, FaceBook, and MySpace for business uses cited: recruiting and biz dev but not much for substantive work.
– One firm uses IM and has determined associates really use it for collaboration and know-how sharing.
– Some: It’s not realistic for KM to drive cultural changes in large law firms. Others: You have to ride existing trends / opportunities and steer those trends.
- Alternative Legal Provider (36)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) (50)
- Bar Regulation (13)
- Best Practices (39)
- Big Data and Data Science (8)
- Blockchain (10)
- Bloomberg Biz of Law Summit – Live (6)
- Business Intelligence (19)
- Contract Management (19)
- Do Less Law (37)
- eDiscovery and Litigation Support (165)
- Experience Management (7)
- Extranets (11)
- General (191)
- Innovation and Change Management (158)
- Interesting Technology (96)
- Knowledge Management (219)
- Law Department Management (14)
- Law Departments / Client Service (112)
- Law Factory v. Bet the Farm (27)
- Law Firm Service Delivery (106)
- Law Firm Staffing (25)
- Law Libraries (1)
- Legal market survey featured (5)
- Legal Process Improvement (21)
- Legal Project Management (26)
- Legal Secretaries – Their Future (17)
- Legal Tech Start-Ups (2)
- Litigation Finance (5)
- Low Cost Law Firm Centers (20)
- Management and Technology (178)
- Notices re this Blog (10)
- Online Legal Services (63)
- Outsourcing (135)
- Personal Productivity (39)
- ReInvent Law (10)
- Roundup (58)
- Structure of Legal Business (1)
- Supplier News (13)