Social Networks, Cultural Change, and KM
Just finished a session on cultural change and social networks at the Ark Knowledge Management conference in Chicago.
A few interesting points:
– Technology has caused the collapse of more traditional in-person social connections and mentoring.
– KM has emerged as a substitute for the sharing that used to happen naturally.
– A few firms are trying to design physical spaces (e.g., library – cafe combos) that encourage old-fashioned in-person interaction.
– Sharing may occur as readily across firms as within firms at the associate level. (Many raised eyebrows at this; one participant countered “how much original work is really done anyway?”)
– Examples of Linkedin, FaceBook, and MySpace for business uses cited: recruiting and biz dev but not much for substantive work.
– One firm uses IM and has determined associates really use it for collaboration and know-how sharing.
– Some: It’s not realistic for KM to drive cultural changes in large law firms. Others: You have to ride existing trends / opportunities and steer those trends.
- Alternative Legal Provider (40)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) (53)
- Bar Regulation (13)
- Best Practices (39)
- Big Data and Data Science (13)
- Blockchain (10)
- Bloomberg Biz of Law Summit – Live (6)
- Business Intelligence (21)
- Contract Management (19)
- Cool Legal Conferences (13)
- Design (4)
- Do Less Law (38)
- eDiscovery and Litigation Support (165)
- Experience Management (8)
- Extranets (11)
- General (192)
- Innovation and Change Management (173)
- Interesting Technology (99)
- Knowledge Management (225)
- Law Department Management (15)
- Law Departments / Client Service (114)
- Law Factory v. Bet the Farm (29)
- Law Firm Service Delivery (116)
- Law Firm Staffing (26)
- Law Libraries (5)
- Legal market survey featured (5)
- Legal Process Improvement (25)
- Legal Project Management (26)
- Legal Secretaries – Their Future (17)
- Legal Tech Start-Ups (3)
- Litigation Finance (5)
- Low Cost Law Firm Centers (21)
- Management and Technology (179)
- Notices re this Blog (10)
- Online Legal Services (63)
- Outsourcing (138)
- Personal Productivity (40)
- Roundup (58)
- Structure of Legal Business (2)
- Supplier News (13)