Magic Circle law firm Clifford Chance has announced it will move 300 staff positions to India.
CC to transfer 300 jobs to India in bid to save £30m in legalweek.com (10/2/06) reports the firm is “set to move about 300 support staff jobs from the UK to India over the next four years, in a cost-cutting move that will save it in the region of £30m.” The initial focus is finance and IT staff but other departments are not immune. The firm will operate the support center itself, not outsource it.
With Orrick moving staff jobs to W. Va., Clifford Chance moving jobs to India, Milbank outsourcing functions to OfficeTiger, and DuPont offshoring document review, among other examples, where is the line on who does what?
These offshoring, near-shoring, and outsourcing arrangements demonstrate that that law firms should view as on open question who performs particular functions (employees or outsourcers) and where they are performed (onsite, offsite, near-shore, or offshore).
And as I noted in my prior post, working virtually is a growing trend. It is getting harder to argue that lawyers must show up daily at expensive downtown locations. Telecommuting anyone?
- Alternative Legal Provider (32)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) (38)
- Bar Regulation (13)
- Best Practices (39)
- Big Data and Data Science (7)
- Blockchain (7)
- Bloomberg Biz of Law Summit – Live (6)
- Business Intelligence (19)
- Contract Management (19)
- Do Less Law (36)
- eDiscovery and Litigation Support (165)
- Extranets (11)
- General (187)
- Innovation and Change Management (144)
- Interesting Technology (93)
- Knowledge Management (213)
- Law Department Management (12)
- Law Departments / Client Service (109)
- Law Factory v. Bet the Farm (26)
- Law Firm Service Delivery (99)
- Law Firm Staffing (24)
- Legal market survey featured (4)
- Legal Process Improvement (21)
- Legal Project Management (25)
- Legal Secretaries – Their Future (17)
- Litigation Finance (5)
- Low Cost Law Firm Centers (18)
- Management and Technology (177)
- Notices re this Blog (10)
- Online Legal Services (62)
- Outsourcing (132)
- Personal Productivity (37)
- ReInvent Law (10)
- Roundup (58)
- Structure of Legal Business (1)
- Supplier News (13)