BigLaw and Contract Management – Google as Opportunity Missed?
Google seeks a staff person to to start a contract management program. I’ve suggested that BigLaw is missing out in helping corporations manage contracts. Perhaps the Google example illustrates the point.
The job description says “Google, the award-winning search engine, is rapidly growing and is looking for an experienced contract Program Manager to join our legal team.” Responsibilities include
* Create document and project roadmap, and plan and communicate with Google’s Business and Development groups.
* Oversee the day-to-day operational activities of Google Legal’s Contract Management System (CMS).
* Design and develop strategy for support of global implementation of Google Legal’s CMS.
* Ensure and maintain CMS’ SOX compliance as well as business rules compliance.
* Documenting and maintaining all internal and external procedures for CMS.
* Review, analyze, and manage new CMS technology initiatives from conception to implementation and through life span of application.
* Documentation creation for tracking as well as creation of user guides for training.
* Continued familiarity with Legal’s commercial documents and process and procedures.
* Assist in implementing new systems to improve contracts process.
Were I new in this position, I’d see if outside counsel could help. Any firm can help draft contracts, but how many can help think about the whole process for managing them. A bit of advice on systems and approaches to CM might position a firm for some nice on-going legal work. BigLaw CIOs may have an opportunity to help their firm develop new business – a nice change from yet another initiative that just increases costs.
- Alternative Legal Provider (44)
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) (57)
- Bar Regulation (13)
- Best Practices (39)
- Big Data and Data Science (14)
- Blockchain (10)
- Bloomberg Biz of Law Summit – Live (6)
- Business Intelligence (21)
- Contract Management (21)
- Cool Legal Conferences (13)
- COVID-19 (11)
- Design (5)
- Do Less Law (40)
- eDiscovery and Litigation Support (165)
- Experience Management (12)
- Extranets (11)
- General (194)
- Innovation and Change Management (188)
- Interesting Technology (105)
- Knowledge Management (229)
- Law Department Management (20)
- Law Departments / Client Service (120)
- Law Factory v. Bet the Farm (30)
- Law Firm Service Delivery (128)
- Law Firm Staffing (27)
- Law Libraries (6)
- Legal market survey featured (6)
- Legal Process Improvement (27)
- Legal Project Management (26)
- Legal Secretaries – Their Future (17)
- Legal Tech Start-Ups (18)
- Litigation Finance (5)
- Low Cost Law Firm Centers (22)
- Management and Technology (179)
- Notices re this Blog (10)
- Online Legal Services (64)
- Outsourcing (141)
- Personal Productivity (40)
- Roundup (58)
- Structure of Legal Business (2)
- Supplier News (13)
- Visual Intelligence (14)